The following is a set of rules created by the mods and globals of Gaiaphage. If you are caught breaking any of the following, 'I didn't ever see the rules' is not an excuse and you will be punished as though you were purposely breaking them.
1. Posting of anything that is racist, sexist, homophobic, or offensive to an individual or anything pertaining to their life will not be tolerated. It will result in an official warning and then a repeated offense will result in a ban.
2. No bullying or ganging up on people, whether it be in a forum discussion or in the chat rooms. As above, it will not be tolerated.
3. If you have a problem with someone either keep it to yourself or let them know in a direct and civil manner. Don't go about bad mouthing users to other users. Move on. If someone has a problem with you, accept they have a problem with you, maybe understand what the problem is, and if you can't find a solution, move on. We're not going to force you to like each other, just stay out of each others' business and let things be.
4. Watch your language! Not everyone loves a potty mouth. Keep swearing to a minimum please, as we do have younger members on the site.
5. Please keep everything you post in the forums/on chat ***PG-13***. If you are posting something that is over that rating, please put it in spoilers with a warning that it's mature, and try not to do this unless you need to.
- Users must have 10 posts before they can send/receive messages
Rules On Posting.
1. Rules on forum etiquette (above) also apply to posting.
2. No double posting. We have a edit button for a reason! Your first offense will result in a verbal warning in the thread itself. Second offense onward will result in a PM from a mod. If the member in question becomes a habitual offender, they will receive an official warning.
3. A post must contain more than "lol" or "idk" or smilies. That's spam. If you keep spamming you'll get warnings. Spam posts will be deleted, so they will also disappear from your post count, so there's no point in doing it. They succeed only in cluttering up the forum.
4. Make sure you post things in the correct forum. If you realize that you've accidentally put something in the wrong area, PM a mod to move it for you. If you are new, don't worry about it, we let it slide, but if you keep posting things in the wrong area you'll get a warning. We have sections for a reason- Let's keep things organized! (Besides, it should be common sense, after all, that an announcement that it's your birthday should NOT be going in the fanfiction forum. ;D)
5. There will be no behavior that can be classified under that of a "troll." A troll is one who consistently (the following may include, but do not have to, and are not limited to:) uses improper spelling and/or grammar, insults or degrades other members, uses vulgar or inappropriate language, spams on a repeated basis despite prior warnings, posts huge spoilers without a warning or spoiler tag, harasses other members, and does not follow the advice of mods and those outlined in the forum rules on a regular basis. Trolling will first be addressed with an official warning. (Note to mods: If warning a troll, it is helpful to take the time to type up more than just "Stop trolling it's annoying. ):< ," as this can't possibly give them the opportunity to change their behavior. It helps to point out specific examples of what is not acceptable.) If the activity persists, another warning and/or a temporary ban may be in order, depending on the level of the actions in question.
Also: LET IT BE A WARNING TO ALL TROLLS. IRC chat is NOT somewhere in which you can hide. ANYBODY on at the time can note the IP address of someone abusing IRC chat- And PM it to a mod, who can then check it against your username.
Rules on spoilers.
1. If you are writing in the Gone forum and the first Gone book (book 1), but want to reference something that happens in Hunger (book 2) in your post, then use the spoiler code! And let people know before the spoiler that you will reference something from a later Gone book.
2. However, if you are referencing something in Hunger (book 2) in the Lies forum (book 3) you don't need to use the spoiler code. As you can safely assume whoever is reading the Lies forum has read Hunger already.
3. Use warnings at the beginnings of fan-fics or fan-art or any post if what you are posting contains spoilers from Hunger, Lies, Plague etc. Use all the forums under the assumption that all visitors have read Gone but have not read any of the other books in the series.
1. Forum Rules: All rules related to forum conduct, including spoilers and general behaviour, apply to chat as well. The Gaiaphage.com forum rules can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10285
2. Spamming: No spamming! However, you are allowed to 'spem' if the need arises. "Spemming" generally refers to posting a large amount of one character posts to push someone else's post out of view. Such occasions present themselves when users post large images, which can screw up low-bandwidth internet, or make things harder to read. On that note, do be considerate when posting images; generally, linking the URL is a better option. "Spemming" can also occur when something inappropriate is said. Then, users are allowed to "spem" the image/inappropriate post out of chat. Note: Spemming without acceptable reason is considered spam. If a Chat Moderator or Moderator (or Global Moderator or Admin) is online, you can ask them to delete the relevent post.
3. Drama: If a conflict develops between two people over chat, kindly move it somewhere else, such as PMs or another private chat room. It is human nature that we will not always get along, but nobody likes to be caught in the middle and unable to chat as usual due to a blowout between two or more people in a public place.
4. Inflammatory Conduct: Posting anything that is racist, sexist, homophobic, or offensive to an individual will not be tolerated. It may result in a warning; with repeated offenses it can potentially result in a ban.
5. Conflict: If you have a problem with someone either keep it to yourself or let them know in a direct and civil manner. Don't go about bad mouthing users to other users. Move on. If someone has a problem with you, accept they have a problem with you, maybe understand what the problem is, and if you can't find a solution, move on. We're not going to force you to like each other, just stay out of each others' business and let things be.
6. PG-13: Please try and keep everything you post on chat ***PG-13*** This includes images and links. Innuendo and the like is okay, but don't take it beyond that.
7. Stop When Others Tell You to Stop: Probably most importantly, don't post things if other people are uncomfortable with them. Obviously this is a really broad category, but generally if you're posting anything, and anyone asks you to stop, you need to stop.
8. Trolling: No trolling. Posts and remarks that are made with the aim of angering people. (like 'ALL JEWS ARE [insert vile comment here]' for example). While Trolls often make these posts strictly in an attempt to provoke negative comment, it is still trolling even if you actually hold those beliefs. Intent is difficult to prove over the internet, so mods will work under their best assumptions.
Note that posts of opinions you disagree with does not automatically equate with trolling. Disagreements are expected, as long as they are done in a civil manner. Make your case without the invective, if you want to avoid banishment as a Troll. If a disagreement does get out of hand, as said in number three, please try and take the conflict to another form of communication, rather than the public chat where people can read it.
9. Flaming: That also applies to flaming people, and generally trying to provoke conflict. Don't try and provoke other people deliberately, don't go around attacking anyone else, don't start insulting others left and right, and generally be polite. Excessive or constant flaming and trolling aren't appropriate, and can possibly result in warnings or a ban.
10. Forbidden links: There is not, and will not ever, be a definitive list of forbidden links. Since we don't control the content of other websites, a link which was fine yesterday may be forbidden today. Each link is judged on a case by case basis, so generally just think whether or not your family would be comfortable with what you're posting. This includes sites with pornography, sexual imagery, sites that promote any illegal activity*, spam, or sites that have links to those sites as a main component. Linking to any of these sites in Chat will result in the link being deleted, and a verbal warning, with actual warnings potentially following. Spamming any link to another site is also nice and worthy of being banned as a spambot.
*While we are aware that laws differ in different countries, keep in mind this is a forum for teenagers and young adults, and post things accordingly. Stuff on fine wine is fine. Stuff on drug use and anything more serious isn't.
11. Obscene and Explicit Content: Sexually graphic images and posts, and violent images such as bloody corpses. Very strictly forbidden. Obscene imagery and content in the forums should be reported to any mods online. Please provide a link to the topic, but do not quote it while explaining its illegality. Then we have to find and delete your posts too. If you post this sort of content in Chat, that's also not cool, and it'll mean that the relevent post will be deleted, and depending on severity, you may be temporarily barred from chat, and a warning may result. As always, repeated infringement can result in a ban.
Rules on Accounts
1. No double accounts! You should never need a duplicate account, for all your posts, friends, etc. are on your first account/know you by that. However, because duplicate accounts have been made in the past, we cannot punish you for those because those were created when there was no rule on it. They will be banned, though, of course. There are several exceptions, of course. If a crisis emerges, like the Incident, where several innocent accounts were banned, you are permitted to create a duplicate account. But as soon as your old account is restored, your duplicate will be banned. Also, if you feel as though you are being bullied and want to start anew, PM a global first, so we can ban your first account and you may make your duplicate your new 'sole' account.
2. No account sharing! I know, all of you do it. But it needs to stop. Giving out your password isn't safe. It ruins the purpose of PM's, and secrets are brought out into the open. People are hacking each other. It needs to stop. So from this point on, if you are caught on another account, with whatever the excuse may be, you will be punished as though you created a double account. Just because you trust a friend today doesn't mean that they will always end up doing the right thing tomorrow. Accidents happen and so do fights.
ADVICE: It would be wise to change your current account password if others know it or it can be easily identified. This would make everything easier.
3. This one is for MODS ONLY. No abusing your power. Don't ban any newbies just because they irritated you. Always follow proper procedure and warn before banning, unless they did something very extreme. In the case of an extreme incident that requires a banning on the spot, be sure to accompany your temporary ban with a warning explaining their behavior and how they can improve in the future. We are including this rule for the sake of regular members. If a mod/global harasses you, don't be afraid to report them. They will be punished if deemed necessary. Also, mods make mistakes too! We're all human. If there has been a misunderstanding or miscommunication, speak up! We'll be happy to listen to any problems or concerns you might have.
Recently, it's come to our attention that a nasty rumor was started about the site. There is no proof supporting it whatsoever, and we have severe doubts as to whether or not it is even based on any truth. However, it scared some people. Rumors like this can be harmful to the site and spread unnecessary panic. So, if you hear/read a rumor like this anywhere, PM a mod (preferably one who's online, if any are) the link to the thread/where you heard the rumor from so that we manage the situation accordingly. And don't get worked up about it; chances are, it's just that: a rumor.
If you see a spambot posting on topics or creating topics of its own, do not post on them. Alert a global/mod, if one is online immediately. If you post on it, your post counts as spam and it will also be deleted.
It is very, very strongly recommended that you read the Grammar Guide, located here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3006 . They are suggestions, not rules, but they're still important and affect the way others percieve you. First impressions say a lot, and since this is the internet where we can't see and hear you, the words you type are all we have to go by. It helps to make them nice. Also, we have a number of international members around the forum- Keep in mind that not everyone's mother tongue is English! Using standard, legible English is a base communication skill, especially in cases where your companion may not be a native speaker.
If there is an incident in the forum involving a troll, please do not respond in an angry tone. If you fight back, you only feed them, giving them something else to destroy and spam from. Although you may be intentionally putting them down- Any attention at all is feeding them. If you see evidence of troll activity, please do one of the following:
1) (If in a post) Click the button on the lower right hand side of the post to report it to a mod. It will flag the post so that it will show up and be brought to our attention.
2) (If in chat OR instead of #1) PM a mod or global mod with the inappropriate text of the post in question and a link to the thread in which it can be found. (If with multiple pages, include page number and username.)
These forum rules were created by the mods/admins (and a few regulars) of Gaiaphage. Patent Pending.<3
1. You MUST read GONE* in order to be a member. If we ask you a question about it and it is a reasonable question that all readers would know, then you can and will be banned. This is a GONE fansite, and while it has evolved, that has stayed. All members should read GONE in order to be members.
*Or be in the process of reading GONE
2. Town Hall (Mature Forum) Policy: The Mature Discussion forum is an area open for potentially controversial and/or serious topics that may surpass the PG-13 rule that applies to the rest of the site. It is IMPERATIVE that all discussion within the Mature forum be serious, thoughtful, considerate, and if at all possible, written in proper standard English (with the exception of those who may not speak English as a first language and may not have impeccable grammar). By entering the Mature Discussion forum, you acknowledge that you will abide by proper codes of conduct, BE MATURE, and can handle any topics of more sensitive nature that you may encounter. When dealing with topics of religion, politics, sexuality, or ANY OTHER opinionated/personal issue, you MUST be respectful or tolerant of others' opinions. You may disagree, but you must be civil about it and offer the other party the opportunity to speak their mind. We value the thoughts of everyone. If a post is found to be immature, disrespectful, or inappropriate, the author of the post will be given the opportunity to rephrase the pose OR the post will be deleted, depending on the severity of the offense. In addition to this, verbal or official warnings may be given. If a user is a habitual abuser of the mature forum, they will no longer be permitted to post in the Mature Discussion Forum. Remember that this is not a "get out of jail free card," but an environment in which serious topics can be discussed and debated prudently.
3. BE CAREFUL WHEN ONLINE
This is a general rule for when you are online, not just on the internet. You should never give out your private information, details of where you live, what school you go to, phone numbers, etc. If you are concerned someone is asking too many personal questions, please inform a moderator or admin. If you have received a private message that worries you, make sure you click this report button: Image and type out a report. The same goes with posts on the forum, if you are concerned about a post, hit the report button and type out a report. Moderators will see the report and deal with the issue asap.